background

Monday, May 9, 2011

My plot

My mother's day wish was to get a chance to garden.  So, early on Sunday morning I went to visit my plot at Root-Riot.  It was sunny which helped to take the chill out of the air.  The day before I purchased:
  1. Tomatoes (better boy, red grape, roma)
  2. Green Pepper (cal wonder)
  3. Sweet Basil
  4. Cilantro
I decided to purchase these items instead of starting from seed since I have no room for a grow light and I couldn't get my act together to start the seeds early enough.  I'm just hoping that it finally gets warm and also that these plants don't die.

I also decided to plant my seedlings.  They were getting big enough where what little light I got through my kitchen window ceased to be sufficient for the growing plants.  Here are some pictures of my work.
my 3 tomato plants, 1 pepper, 1 basil, and 1 cilantro

Tomato


Basil


Zinnia seedlings


Cilantro and Zinnias


Broccoli seedlings


Cal Wonder Green Pepper

Sugar Snap Peas


More Sugar Snap Peas
 I also planted some summer squash seeds as well as nasturtium and kale.  Some folks in the garden are adhering to the "square foot gardening" technique, but again, time and energy are not on my side this spring.  Perhaps next year I'll try it if this year turns disastrous or has little to no yield.  Sorry about some of the sideways pics, I was a) trying to avoid shadows on such a sunny day and b) I didn't have time rotate them but I'll try to fix that problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment